It began as a sample to try my new Big Sister Mirrix loom. I didn’t take time to elaborate something. I just drew a sketch of four dancers, wove the warp (8 epi) and went on. I chose on the go colors I liked, and decided to have a try on color gradation, chiné and demi-duite.
I learnt a lot. It was the first time I wove from the side, and so the first time I had to deal with so many curves. Due to my job, there was a gap of two weeks between the first three dancers and the last on. As I hadn’t any plans, at the end of the weaving, I had lost track of my initial decisions, and there may be a lack of coherence between the beginning and the end, and the width at the end is 1,5cm less than at the beginning. The whole piece is about 20×50 cm. (Roughly 10×20 inches)
What surprised me too is that I didn’t realize till the very end the picture will be the reverse, as I weave from the back. I knew it but didn’t really visualize it.
All in all, I’m quite happy with Not Matisse. I achieved all the little goals I gave to myself, I like the colors, I improved my weaving skills. It may be the first piece I finish and mount, something I haven’t done yet. Next project, Alice et Anita 2, which I will from now call AA2. I am still hesitating for some of the colors. I have another project on the side, which will be quite challenching, I will (or not) post about it later.
Mes amis français et d’ailleurs, normalement le Google translate sur la droite de la page devrait tout vous traduire, c’est son boulot….
3 thoughts on “I’m not Matisse is off the loom”
Génial !! Très beau, belles compositions de couleurs.
Terrific! You are almost Matisse! Alice and Anita, you’d better get ready !
I really like the movement of the figures, and the excellent background color gradation techniques enhance that feeling of movement.
My tapestries seem to shrink a lot right near the end, too. I think it is because I am using fewer bobbins near the end. One author I read said to try to use about the same number of bobbins as the rest of the tapestry, even when you are using a single color all the way across. Apparently the turns during “meet and separate” also affect warp spacing, so having a similar number of turns in a row helps keep things the same.
In my case of course, it could also be that near the end I am impatient to finish so am not as careful at bubbling.