Dyeing with lichens

This week, we (Celina, Olivier and I) were busy dyeing with lichens. I had the idea in mind, don’t remember why, and I found a dead branch on the ground. That was the beginning, we began to look, and to see lichens everywhere. We mainly collected dead branches, and were surprised to discover that one branch could host four or five different species. We also experimemted with some orange lichen on a wall. Celina and Olivier spent hours observing in order to classify them, but didn’t succeed for all. They succeed for two of them : the yellow on the branch is Xanthoria Parietina, it gives this wonderful pink, and the othet one is Evernia prunastri, it gives the gold color.

Cette semaine, Celina, Olivier et moi mème avons passé pas mal de temps à teindre avec des lichens. Je ne sais pas d’où l’idée m est venue, et j’ai trouvé cette branche morte par terre. À partir de là, on a vu du lichen partout! On a surtout ramassé des branches mortes, et on s‘est rendu compte qu’il pouvait y avoir jus qu’à cinq espèces différentes sur une branche.On a aussi gratté du lichen orange sur un mur. Celina et Olivier les ont scrutés des heures pour tenter de les identifier, Ils en ont identifié deux de façon sûre . Le jaune qu’on voit sur la branche est Xanthoria parietina, il donne ce fabuleux rose, et l’autre est Evernia prunastri, il donne du doré.


For me, I was occupied boiling water with samples of lichen and wool. Then came the reward : the colors, each lichen developing its own.

Quant à moi, j’ai fait bouillir de l’eau avec à chaque fois un échantillon de laine et de lichen. La récompense : une couleur différente par lichen.


After two days, and a rainbow, we decided to go professional : a dedicated stove, and ammonia.

Au bout de deux jours, et après un arc en ciel, on s est professionnalisés avec l’achat d’un réchaud et d’ammoniac.

I relied a lot on this article , where I learnt how to obtain violet from certain lichens. You have to macerate them in water and ammonia for three months. So here we go, and hopefully you will have an update in November !

Je me suis pas mal appuyée sur cet article. J’ y ai appris qu’on pouvait obtenir du violet en faisant macérer certains lichens dans de l’ammoniac pendant trois mois. Rendez vous en novembre!

Also, I decided to soak skeins in the fist decoction to see if they will have the same color : mots of the time I had a faded version, but once the gorgeous yellow popped up.

J’ ai aussi fait tremper des écheveaux dans la décoction refroidie pour voir si cela donnait la mème couleur : oui pour la plupart, mais une superbe surprise jaune.

The lichen story is not over yet, I still have a stash to dye, and then,I will have a stash to weave. Stay tuned.

L’aventure des lichens n est pas terminée, j’ai encore un stock à teindre, et puis j’aurai un stock à tisser. La suite dans les prochains numéros.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s